Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Recently, I shared my Weight Loss Story with all of you. I thought it was a good idea to post it the same day as "The Biggest Loser" finale, since I can relate somewhat to what they are going through. My weight loss journey started four years ago. In the last two years, I have been able to maintain a healthy weight, and I exercise regularly. I remember in the past I could go months without exercising and now, I try to exercise at least 3-5 times a week. I do not diet, I choose to make healthy choices.
I wanted to share some of my tips with you that helped me during my weight loss journey. I am not a professional doctor or dietician, so if you would like to start your own weight loss journey, consult your doctor or dietician before you begin any weight loss program.
1. Try to do something active everyday, for at least 30 minutes to one hour. Take a walk, use exercise videos at home, or join a gym. Exercise at least 3-5 times a week. I joined a gym in February of 2009 and this really helped me with weight loss. Once you get into a good routine of working out, your body will crave movement often! Include cardio and strength training in your workout. Strength training will help you build muscle and tone up!
2. Increase your fiber intake. Research says that Americans are not getting enough fiber in their diets. Fiber helps move things along and keeps your system clean. Try to eat as much natural fiber as you can. Apples are a good source of fiber.
3. Keep fresh fruits that are easy to prepare within reach. I love to keep apples, bananas, and grapes handy. I also love to buy unsweetened frozen fruit. I let it thaw out a little before I eat it. I even make smoothies with frozen fruit. One of my favorite smoothies includes blueberry with fresh spinach leaves. It's delicious and you can't even taste the spinach. I do a handful of blueberries and a handful of fresh spinach leaves with ice. That's it! Sometimes I add strawberries.
4. Replace any white flour foods with whole wheat. It's healthier and more filling. Even if I buy waffles or pancakes, I try to find the closest to whole wheat as possible. Same thing goes with bread and crackers.
5. If you plan to eat at a restaurant choose healthy items. Order grilled chicken with steamed vegetables or pinto beans as the side. Substitute fries with fresh fruit or another healthy alternative. If you order a drink, order water with lemon or unsweet tea. I am from the south and sweet tea is a big deal here. If its self serve, I like to put 75% of unsweet tea in my cup with 25% sweet. It gives it a little flavor and has less sugar and therefore, calories.
6. Do not allow junk food in your house. Simply don't buy it! When it's there, you will have the temptations to eat it! Same goes for baking. If you MUST bake, save one or two of the cupcakes or cookies and get the rest out of your house! Share your baked goods with neighbors or friends.
7. Schedule regular massages. Our bodies require maintenance, just like our cars do. Invest in yourself-and don't feel guilty for it! Massages are a great way to destress. Even with the exercising that I do, a montly massage is a HUGE part of a healthy lifestyle. Many places offer wellness programs where you can get good deals on massages if you sign up for their wellness program.
These are a few of my tips for living a healthy lifestyle. I hope this inspires you to stay healthy so that you can live a happy and healthy life. If you have any questions for me, please email email@example.com.
Do you have any healthy tips to share with us?
Image source: iClipart