Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Share Your Blessings With Those In Need of a Blessing

Do you ever stop to think about how blessed you are? I do this often and I know that everything I have is rightfully His. God has blessed me with more than I can even do with. When I receive from Him, it is my job as a Christian to give, give, give, and to do so cheerfully. It is far better to give than to receive. When you give, God trusts you more because you are not selfish with "material objects of this world," and so He blesses you with more. I have witnessed this several times in my life. I realize that when I decide to be selfish, the blessings are minimum. When I decide to give, blessings pour.

What do you do when you have more than enough?

I decided to take a challenge this month. I took from my stockpile of things I could have kept, but decided that I felt better off by passing it on to someone else less fortunate. I grabbed two boxes, one for food and one for tolietries. I went on to my local Freecycle site and posted that I had free food to give away. Luckily, a military family on base contacted me, and I have met with them before. They were interested, so I made a trip out to take them some extra food.

At first it was hard to do this. I had worked so hard to build up that stockpile and I have a great stash of food on hand. But did I really need to keep all of that to myself? No. So I decided to give some away. I took boxes of food from here and there, a few canned foods, extra snacks, and then some toilet paper, toothpaste, etc. I created two boxes and shared my blessings with another.

I hope we can all learn to be cheerful givers. I challenge you to do the same. I actually enjoyed this so much, I may decide to do it every month or so.


Now I know I am going a little bit against this verse by telling you this...

MATT. 6:2-4

''So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

...but I am simply giving you an idea of how you can help others in need and hope it encourages you to take a look at what you do have and how you can share your blessings with others. I feel it is also my duty as a Christian to pass on these teachings to you!

"So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7).

May God Bless You!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great thing to do. I also do this once in a while, and not too long we helped ship a huge barrel off to Jamaican relatives with a lot of stuff (I got about five bags full just from my pantry/beauty stock.

    Thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I would like to invite you to this week’s The Wednesday Window . It is the place to feature your favorite blog post of the past week or so, for more details check out Frugality Is Free. The Wednesday Window linky will open up around 10 p.m.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!